Energy Conservation – Tab 2
Tuesday, March 11, 2014
- Unplug seldom-used appliances
- Unplug chargers when you’re not charging something
- Use power strips to switch off TVs, home theater equipment, and stereos when you’re not using them
- Use Sleep Mode on your computer during periods of inactivity.
- Set your computer to Hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity.
- Shut down your computer when you’re done for the day.
- Don’t over-light. Instead of turning on all the lights in a room, only use the ones in the area where you’ll be working in.
- Switch to fluorescent light bulbs. These bulbs are available to fit most fixtures, and provide more light while using less energy.
- Don’t forget to flip the switch when you leave a room.
- In winter, set your thermostat to 68 degrees or less during the daytime, and 55 degrees when you’re away. Also, leave shades/blinds open on sunny days, but close them at night.
- In summer, set your thermostat to 78 degrees or more all day long. Also, keep shades/blinds closed, especially when the air conditioner is in use or will be in use later in the day.
- Set the thermostat on your water heater to 120-130 degrees.