Whiting Fire Department Accepting Applications for the Position of Firefighter
Tuesday, March 1, 2016
The Whiting Fire Department will begin accepting applications for the position of Firefighter with the City of Whiting starting on March 1, 2016. Applications will be accepted until Thursday, March 31, 2016. Any applicant who previously submitted a job application for a firefighter position will need to reapply as the application has been changed. An application fee of $25.00 is required to be submitted with the application. The payment should be by cash, check or money order payable to the City of Whiting,
The applications are available from the Mayor’s office at Whiting City Hall, 1443 – 119th Street, Whiting, Indiana, or online at www.whitingindiana.com. Completed applications should be returned to the Office of the Mayor at City Hall no later than 4:00 pm on March 31, 2016. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
To be eligible for employment, an applicant must meet the following initial criteria:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent;
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age, but less than thirty-six (36) years of age at date of appointment;
- Be a person who does not have a felony conviction;
- Have a valid driver’s license, chauffeur’s license or commercial driver’s license (CDL).
The hiring procedure will be as follows:
- Applications will be reviewed to determine initial eligibility;
- Written examination will be given;
- Physical agility test will be conducted;
- Limited oral interviews will be conducted;
- Hiring eligibility list will be created;
- All required state testing will proceed off of the eligibility list.
It is undetermined at this time as to how many firefighters will be hired, but all new hires will be required to move into and live in the City of Whiting corporate limits for five (5) years after the City makes a conditional offer of employment which is accepted by the applicant. The five (5) year period of time shall be calculated from the date of hire as a probationary firefighter.
For questions, contact Fire Chief Gus Danielides at firstname.lastname@example.org or (219)659-1069.