Whiting Fire Department Now Hiring
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
WHITING FIRE DEPARTMENT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
FOR THE POSITION OF FIREFIGHTER
The Whiting Fire Department will begin accepting applications for the position of Firefighter with the City of Whiting starting on September 15, 2021. Applications will be accepted until Friday, October 8, 2021.
Any applicant who previously submitted a job application for a firefighter position will need to reapply as the application has been changed. An application fee of $25.00 is required to be submitted with the application. The payment should be by cash, check or money order payable to the City of Whiting.
Applications are also available at the Mayor’s Office at Whiting City Hall, 1443 – 119th Street, Whiting, Indiana. Completed applications should be returned to the Office of the Mayor at City Hall no later than 12:30 p.m. on October 8, 2021. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
To be eligible for employment, an applicant must meet the following initial criteria:
1. Be a citizen of the United States;
2. Be a high school graduate or equivalent;
3. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age, but less than thirty-six (36) years of age at date of appointment;
4. Be a person who does not have a felony conviction;
5. Have a valid driver’s license, chauffeur’s license or commercial driver’s license (CDL) and be eligible for auto insurance under the City’s carrier.
6. Hold a current Indiana or National Paramedic Certification.
The hiring procedure will be as follows:
1. Applications will be reviewed to determine initial eligibility;
2. Written examination will be given;
3. Physical agility test will be conducted;
4. Limited oral interviews will be conducted;
5. Hiring eligibility list will be created;
6. All required state testing will proceed off of the eligibility list.
It is undetermined at this time as to how many firefighters will be hired, but all new hires will be required to move into and live in the 46394 zip code for five (5) years after the City makes a conditional offer of employment which is accepted by the applicant. The five (5) year period of time shall be calculated from the date of hire as a probationary firefighter.