Whiting Police Department Accepting Police Officer Applications until 1/07/22
Thursday, December 23, 2021
The Whiting Police Department will begin accepting applications for the position of Police Officer with the City of Whiting starting on Thursday, December 23, 2021. Applications will be accepted until Friday, January 7, 2022. No applications will be accepted prior to December 23rd. Any applicant who previously submitted a job application for a Police Officer position will NOT need to reapply. All applications must be accompanied by a nonrefundable $25.00 Public Safety Testing Fee, payable by cash or money order to the City of Whiting.
The applications are available from the Mayor’s Office at Whiting City Hall, 1443 – 119th Street, Whiting, Indiana, or online by clicking here.
To be eligible for employment, an applicant must meet the following initial criteria:
A. U.S. citizenship
B. At least 21 years of age by date of hire and less than 36 years of age on date of appointment
C. High school diploma or the equivalent
D. Ability to read and write English
E. Possession of a valid Indiana Operator’s License and clean driving record at date of hire
F. Good moral character and reputation
G. No felony convictions
The hiring procedure will be as follows:
1. Applications will be reviewed to determine initial eligibility – this will include criminal background checks, driving record review, etc.
2. Written examination will be given;
3. Physical agility test will be conducted;
4. Limited oral interviews will be conducted;
5. Hiring eligibility list will be created;
6. Conditional offer of employment will be made and applicant will be subject to all state testing requirements and acceptance by the Police & Fire Retirement Fund.
7. All new hires will be for a one year (1) probationary period.
It is undetermined at this time as to how many Police Officers will be hired, but all new hires will be required to move into and live in the City of Whiting corporate limits for the one (1) year probationary period.